Social Media & Internet InvestigationsAustralian Forensic Investigators
Social Media & Internet Investigations
We conduct investigations into all manner of Social Media platforms. We use a multitude of tools and experience and are able to search over 800 selectors on 90 social media sites and other platforms.
- Our tools allow for link analysis and the reporting is
user friendlyand court ready.
- Our expertise
consistof social media evidence collection, preservation, analysis and expert reporting and presentation.
- Our Expert Witnesses have presented evidence in the New South Wales Supreme Court in relation to Facebook.
We have conducted hundreds of cases involving Cyber Bullying, Defamation, IP Theft, Cyber Stalking. We work with legal councils, insurance companies, In-House legal, management and other investigation firms.
We also conduct Internet Investigations using the latest OSINT (Open Source Investigation) methods allowing us to offer unique insights. We go beyond and investigate in places seldom accessed.
GPEvidence is gathered from computers, mobile phones, vehicles, servers as well as the internet. Evidence is collected in a forensic manner and can stored over long periods.
Fraud InvestigationsAustralian Forensic Investigators
Fraud is often well concealed and could be occurring for long periods before being disclosed. Fraud can be found in many forms. A few indicators may be:
- Significant changes in behaviour.
- Fraudsters have large personal debts or financial losses, and a desire for personal gain
- Audit findings deemed to be errors or irregularities
- Transactions taking place that were at an odd time, odd frequency, unusual amount or
- Internal controls that are not enforced, or often compromised by higher authorities
- Discrepancies in accounting records and unexplained items on reconciliations
- Inconsistent, vague or implausible responses arising from inquiries
- Unusual discrepancies between the client’s records and confirmation replies
- Missing inventory or physical assets
- Excessive voids or credits
- Alterations on documents
- Duplication Payments
- Collusion among employees, where there is little or no supervision
- Employees may have too much control over the process
A large portion of crime is committed by personnel working in accounting departments or by senior executives. Fraud can have devastating consequences if not attended too and the authorities do not have the capacity to deal with all the corporate fraud.
Digital evidence is very volatile and needs to be handled correctly. We assist in helping identify the source and collect evidence in preparation for any legal proceedings
Intellectual Property TheftAustralian Forensic Investigators
Intellectual Property Theft
Expert forensic analysis of all digital data including computers, mobile and servers.
Establishing evidence to demonstrate copyright, trademark, patent, trade secrets infringements and confidential information disclosure
Ability to build a timeline of history leading up to the infringement and how infringement occurred.
Video & Photo ForensicsAustralian Forensic Investigators
Video & Photo Forensics
- We have the ability to enhance CCTV or other video material as well as forensically analyse and authenticate the video.
- Import any type of image, video or sequence of images.
- Enhance entire video or selected frames.
- Deblurring, sharpening and deinterlacing.
- Obscuring by pixelation and/or blurring of unwanted images, objects or areas e.g. faces, number plates, identifying personal features.
- Tracking and Stabilising Images or Frames focused on desired subjects.
- Photogrammetry, object height and position measurements
- Lighting, shadow, highlight adjustments
- Perspective and Transform adjustments to fix skew, lens distortion, obscure angle distortion.
- Read, convert and write from and to almost any video codec and media format
- Prepare a forensic report that can be used in a court of law.
- Photo Forensics and Authentication.
- Camera ballistics.
- Photograph analysis.
- Photograph Authentication.
Industrial EspionageAustralian Forensic Investigators
Industrial espionage is on the increase and internet access has made this easier. This can be performed by employees, management, partners or paid cyber hackers.
Competitors or foreign states may be interested in gathering information on Intellectual Property, industrial manufacturing capacity, plans or techniques or formulas, marketing and distribution plans. It may take many forms like theft, bribery or blackmail or covert surveillance. Access to computers and the internet have made this much easier. The use of trojan horses, malware, key loggers and spyware is common. Computer forensic investigators have the unique ability to uncover these activities whilst maintaining the evidence. This can be done covertly and on live networks or computers. We can access these computers or networks remotely.
Furthermore, we assist with:
- Theft of IP, Trade Secrets, products, clients or company plans.
- Attempts to destroy data
- Preventing legitimate access to data
Workplace InvestigationsAustralian Forensic Investigators
The level of workplace misconduct is proliferating and this is set to grow due to unprecedented access to computers, the internet and mobile phones. This misconduct can be from employees, management, business partners, suppliers or even your customers. This misconduct can take many forms and can have a devastating effect on your business and reputation. Being decisive and working swiftly to identify the source of the misconduct whilst not tainting the evidence is crucial in achieving a positive outcome.
Workplace misconduct can take many forms, such as –
- Misuse of computers or internet access
- Sending harassing email communications
- Cyber bullying or social media stalking
- Anonymous communications
- Malicious actions by an employee who is leaving the company or who intends to do harm
- Theft of company data, including company secrets, IP or confidential information
- Acts of sabotage by your competitors
Should you have concerns about an employee, business partner or competitor and suspect misconduct we can assist. We offer very discreet services and are able to react at very short notice to our client’s requests.
Criminal DefenceAustralian Forensic Investigators
We service lawyers and barristers that need validation of certain forensic evidence or third-party reports. Our mobile forensic expertise helps build timelines of the defendant’s movements based on the mobile data on their handsets or tablets. Additionally, we can corroborate contacts whereabouts based on certain social media information.
We assist with:
- Validation of evidence
- Validation of third party reports
- Complete forensic analysis including timeline analysis and recovery of deleted data.
- Reports presented in a concise manner
Mobile ForensicsAustralian Forensic Investigators
The advent of the Smartphone and Tablets has resulted in a whole new industry for the forensics community. Companies who now have to deal with BYO (bring your own device) most likely do not have the means to retrieve or collect vital information from these devices. We are able to assist our customers in retrieving deleted data, call and message records and even corrupted data. We are also able to reconstruct timelines, show geographic locations and build social graphs of social media contacts on certain handsets.
Some of the Services we offer are:
- Recover call logs, SMS logs, MMS logs, contacts, emails and videos
- Recovery of deleted information from mobile phones including the SIM card, memory and removable storage media.
- Recover Application data from mobile phones including social media data, geo-location data and social media contacts
- Ability to analyze in excess of 5000 different types of handsets including iPhone’s, Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Tablets and GPS devices.
- Ability to bypass password protection on certain handsets
- Identification of Mobile Spyware and detailed reports generated on spyware activity.
- Forensic Reports include a historical timeline of events.
- We have the ability to create a Social Graph and Timelines of all contact interactions
- We have a wide variety of industry-standard tools and we are continually educating ourselves to keep pace with rapid development in this sector.
AFI uses the latest mobile forensic tools and we pride ourselves on staying at the forefront of technology. Contact us for a free and discreet consultation or if you have a specific request. We are able to react to your our client’s requirements at very short notice.
Computer ForensicsAustralian Forensic Investigators
We specialise in finding and analysing digital data in a sound forensic manner that is admissible in a court of law.
We recover data that has been corrupted or intentionally deleted. This evidence can be gathered from a number of digital devices including computers, servers, mobile devices and tablets.
Collection and Preservation of Evidence
We use industry best practices and specialist forensic products to collect evidence whilst maintaining evidentiary integrity. Special care must be taken when handling and analysing computer evidence to avoid spoliation of evidence.
We collect evidence from live systems. This means systems do not have to be powered down, if this is a requirement.
Evidence is collected by creating a bit-stream copy of the media.
To maintain the evidence’s integrity, write blocking devices are used in the collection procedure to ensure that the media being captured from is not contaminated.
The captured data is encrypted and assigned a unique hash signature is assigned to each item captured which helps maintain the integrity of the evidence.
Assessing and Analysing of Evidence
- We identify potentially relevant evidence.
- We analyse data and identify the facts.
- We can provide case assessments.
- We prepare expert forensic reports.
Specifically, our forensic expert investigators can:
- Recover deleted data, documents emails or text messages
- Uncover internet activity, website history
- Identify files that were downloaded from or to USB or external media
- Prove misconduct, specifically fraud or cyberbullying
- Locate spyware, key loggers or monitoring software on computers or networks